Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Coffee Anyone?

The military is rich with traditions! One of these that I've grown accustomed to is the wives's Coffee. Once a month, we get together at a host home to socialize, eat and drink. There usually isn't coffee (in fact I don't think I've ever been to a 'Coffee' that served coffee) so it is usually replaced with wine. It's an opportunity to get to know the other spouses, to see the other ladies homes and decorations, and there is a time for the administration part too. Among the discussion topics are usually upcoming dates of importance, such as when the guys (our husbands) will be deploying or going on TDY's, fund raising opportunities, etc. I wanted to get into the history of the Coffee, but on my Internet search, I came up somewhat empty handed. I was specifically looking for a book that one of the wives had back in Utah that was dated probably back in the 50's which was a guide on how to be an officer's spouse. It had such outdated ideas about how you had to be dressed in your nice dress and have dinner in the oven when your husband came home... Like I said, outdated! So no luck with the search for that, but I did however find this gem on the Air Force Wives website. (Under Subcategory: Dinner Conversation) "The "rule" is you must spend time talking to people on both sides of you whether you find them interesting or not. Business shouldn't be discussed unless everyone is involved in the same business. Politics, finances, and religion are not suitable topics. And don't talk at length about yourself or continually about any one subject -- BORING! Current events, sports, hobbies, cultural matters, friends you may have in common, are all good subjects." (from the Air Force Wives Website)

I co-hosted the Coffee last night, and the only reason I see it as blog worthy is because of the large turnout! There were over 3o women at my house last night- including the Wing Commander and Vice Wing Commander's wives (they're the big dogs on base for those who don't know the military politics)! The first Coffee I hosted, back in Utah, seven women showed up! So this was quite a turn out and my house felt pretty cozy at times. Luckily, enough food was made, thanks to my friend Suz for co-hosting with me for the coffee!!! In fact, I have quite the excess that I plan on dropping by John's squadron today to feed the poor and hungry pilots! It was nice to have such a turn out and we got to meet many new faces. The student girlfriends (a new class just started) made their debut and it's good to know that they feel welcome since I've heard horror stories of how girlfriend's are treated by the wives club. We've got a good group of women in the squadron. We also farewelled a couple of amazing women and they will definitely be missed!


With all this history and happenings talk, I think it's appropriate to end with a little ode to the Air Force:

The U. S. Air Force Hymn

Lord, guard and guide the men who fly
Through the great spaces of the sky;
Be with them traversing the air
In darkening storms or sunshine fair

II
Thou who dost keep with tender might
The balanced birds in all their flight
Thou of the tempered winds be near
That, having thee, they know no fear

III
Control their minds with instinct fit
What time, adventuring, they quit
The firm security of land;
Grant steadfast eye and skillful hand

IV
Aloft in solitudes of space,
Uphold them with Thy saving grace.
O God, protect the men who fly
Thru lonely ways beneath the sky.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention how every conversation seems to revolve pregnancy, birthing babies, or raising babies. It's the one thing (most) of the wives have in common. I guess we'll be joining them soon!
I draw the line at talking about episiotomies though...
Pam

Anonymous said...

With such high attendance, it's good to have a co-host! Did you expect to have 30???? That would be a lot to do solo!! Good job!