Beginning this month, we said goodbye to our cable television. Although it was slightly frightening to let go of our security blanket, how liberating it has been!
Why? You may wonder...
- We are getting fed up with the smut that they call television.. Everything contains foul language, nudity, sexual content, etc. where, in my opinion it's not needed. The explicit content does not what-so-ever add to the meaning or understanding of the show! So for one, this is our way to rebel against Hollywood's movement to pepper our lives with dirt.
- Have you seen any Best Buy commercials lately?? Their new slogan: You. Happier. That slogan really irks me... Why would sitting in front of some kind of electronic gaming devise or television set make my life more enriched??? I think quite the opposite is true. How much happier would we be if we didn't have these distractions that enable us to drone through life and spend mindless nonproductive hours? Instead we might get out and actually accomplish something or enjoy God's gorgeous creation by recreating (which would also help with the obesity epidemic and I know that not lugging around an extra 50 pounds would make many people truly Happier)!
- Of course the economy may have a factor in this. John and I live on a budget and it's kind of ridiculous to think that nearly $1000 a year goes to our cable bill... We really don't watch it that often anyway. We enjoy watching sports (especially football season) and the occasional sitcom as well as some shows on Discovery... but are those few things we enjoy watching really worth the moolah?! So since we, along with most of America are feeling the pinch as our economy is being tested, it's time to get rid of some things that are not necessity. See ya- Cable! Give me my $1000!!!
- John practices playing his guitar in the evenings and sometimes I'll sing along with the songs he's playing.
- We play with Riley. John likes to pretend like he's playing tackle football with him and he (gently) tackles Riley into couch cushions and pillows.
- I am finally catching up on a Bible study that I had fallen way behind on.
- Of course I can take more time to do my hobbies- sewing, running and I've taken on a creative writing project!
- We read books that we've had on the "to read" list for a long time!
- We take a stroll down to the park with the baby and the crazy dog and wail on the racquetball to wear Cana out!
- Last night John and I quizzed each other on random facts about each other.. It was pretty fun and we are learning more about each other. He didn't know that I have an Aunt in Florida and I learned that his favorite ice cream flavor is Cookies n Cream! haha!