Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Buried in Bags


I am at a cross road.  It has gotten to the point where I am not enjoying my little business that I  created and have been doing the last five years.  Much has happened over those 5 years, among which I have started a family and decided to be a stay at home mom.  I thought that making purses was the perfect balance of staying home and still making a little spending money.  And it was- for a while.  However, with the addition of baby girl into the family and an increase of demands that having two kids brings, I am feeling that the sewing business is taking away from my intent to give my "all" to my kids.  Something has to suffer and unfortunately my costumer service for Fly-bagz has taken the brunt of this.  I am closing the doors.  I don't know if or when I might pick it back up again.  I have had a great time making bags and loved seeing the different personalities and styles that went into each one!  I had the privilege of some very heartfelt projects as bag requests came from a widowed wife who's husband didn't come home from work one day, and a husband trying to order a sweet present for his expecting wife, only to loose her during childbirth.  Truth is that Fly-bagz has made a lasting impression on me and brought me places I didn't expect and I am thankful for the time I was able to devote to it and the people I was able to meet through it.  So for now, I will be finishing the orders I have and getting those bags in the mail.  I will not be taking any further orders.  --Sorry.  :(

However, if you're reading this and were hoping for a Christmas Fly-bag...  You may contact my very talented friend, Stephanie who has been taking some of my work load since pregnancy.  She is willing to keep on sewing up until Christmas.  Her email is Stephanie@fly-bagz.com and she is only doing the Transporter Bagz (the standard size original bag).

Thank you to all those who have made this experience so much fun!

God Bless!


Photobucket

3 comments:

Virginia said...

Although I have never purchased a bag from you, I have seen your work! You have done a fantastic job! You should love what you do, so if Flybagz has become somewhat of a burden then it's wise to take a break. Enjoy your much needed time with your young ones....they grow so fast, don't they?!

Catherine said...

Ahh, yes. I completely know what you mean. I had to do the same thing when I closed my Etsy shop. The problem is, after I give something up, it doesn't take long before I'm scheming up something else I can do on the side. *sigh*

http://priority1mail.blogspot.com/2009/05/purple-pear-closing-my-etsy-shop-doors.html

~Catherine
P.S. I found your blog through Love that Shot.

Mike and Judi Winslow said...

See... that's what you get for producing a quality product and turning a little 'side line' into an overwhelming popular item with high market demand. I told you that you should have had them subcontracted to a sweatshop in Taiwan or Guatemala.
In all seriousness, I got misty-eyed reading about your two special customers.
… can’t fault you for making the decision that you did – family comes first.